Most people who own a home will have a pretty strong opinion on whether or not a fireplace is something essential to comfortable living. Some people would simply not entertain the idea of buying a home without at least one in the living room or will budget for the installation of a retrofit fireplace or solid fuel stove.
On the other hand, some would actively go out of their way to remove a built-in fireplace in a home they had just purchased, replacing it with an electric one or opting to forego entirely and fill the empty space with a large television.
Whichever camp you’re in, here are a few reasons why a fireplace is a great addition to any home:
- Comfort – No other type of heating is able to provide the sort of experience that an open fire can. Whether you enjoy toasting marshmallows or sipping a glass of your favourite beverage after a long day, these pastimes instantly become better as soon as you do them in front of a fire. Not to mention that fires make a great focal point and feature to any room.
- Convenience – In the event of a power cut, you’re going to be left in the dark – and if you’re running on electric heating, you’re also going to be left in the cold. With a solid fuel fireplace or stove, you can rest assured in the knowledge that you will stay warm and have enough light to finish your favourite book all the way through a heavy storm.
- Cooking – Somewhat unorthodox but it isn’t un heard of to put your fireplace to good use in cooking the family’s evening meal. It may depend on what passes as a meal for you but hotdogs on sticks aren’t out of the question and we’ve already mentioned marshmallows. In fact, whilst you’re at it, if you’re adventurous enough, you could try warming a saucepan of mulled wine over your fireplace to bring a real dash of class to the occasion.
- Save the Planet – Timber as a fuel is much more eco-friendly than traditional fossil fuels. It is also very energy efficient and may save you money on your heating bills, especially if you’re able to heat as much of your home as possible from your fireplace.
- Cost Effective – Modern fireplaces are more user friendly than they use to be. They still require maintenance and depending on the type will need to be cleaned and swept but reduced energy costs balances this out.
So, you can see that the humble fireplace still has many benefits and a place in the home. Honestly, cleaning it will be the part you will enjoy the least but thankfully there are many chimney sweeps available to assist. The South East of England is a great place to own a fireplace with chimney sweeps in Surrey and throughout the region. Twice a year should do the job and will keep your fireplace running well.
If you’re about to buy a new home that comes with a fireplace, give it a chance before consigning it to the history books.