The popularity of residential metal roofing has increased over past few decades. Homeowners and builders are becoming aware of the advantages of metal roofing. This metal roofing is durable, lightweight and fireproof.
Metal roofing can be made from aluminum, steel, copper and alloys. Steel and aluminum material are economical and durable. They can hold paint well. Aluminum is one of the most used roofing materials in coastal areas as it is not affected by moist salt.Steel is a widely used metal for roofing because of its durability, strength and comparatively lower cost. Copper roofs are durable and can last at least hundred years.
Metal roofing comes in two forms:
You can pick from a wide range of colors, patterns, and variations. Panel roofing can be installed vertically on a roof. It has a stylish and commercial look that is preferred by architects. It is placed on homes in mountains. Shingle style roofing comes in shapes of Spanish style, slate and wood shake.
Advantages of Metal Roofing for Homes
- They have a long shelf life. Metal roof installed once is not required to install for at least next hundred years.
- They reflect heat from the Sun. You can save your money on expensive electricity bills.
- They prevent accumulation of snow or ice on the roof.
- The metal roofing is designed in such a way that it sheds the snow.
- Metal roofs are durable and fireproof.
- They are light in weight.
- A metal roof can easily be installed in winters.
- Metal roofing comes in hundred different colors.So, you can pick according to your choice and preference.
- They provide the best protection in ice and snow.
Precautions to be taken for Metal Roofing
- Estimation of cost – Multiplylength and breadth of each roof section in feet and add ten percent extra. Divide it by hundred; the figure will tell you squares of metal required. The cost of installation depends on the type of roof, material, and system to be installed.
- Warranty – Warranty replaces the defective materials.Warranty provides full reimbursement of the material up to 10 years or so.
- Solar installation – If you want to install a solar panel, and then install it along with the installation of metal roofing. Contact Metal Roofing Contractors before the installation of the solar panel.
- The metal panel must not be installed over asphalt shingles. Metal roof expands and contracts due to change in temperature and can be rubbed against asphalt shingles.
- Experienced and qualified contractors – Metal roofs must be installed by specialists. If roof installation is not done in a proper way, it can result in leaking.
- Metal shingles are manufactured at factory site and are carried on work site area.
P.S: Metal roofing is best as it is environment -friendly and has numerous other advantages.