Step ladders are helpful tools to use while at home or at work. They provide workers with a safe and easy way to reach items on high shelves, replace lighting fixtures on the ceiling, or have access to any type of equipment that is elevated. Ladders that are used in a warehouse or inventory setting are used daily and therefore they are usually made from high-quality materials so that they will last a long time. They are often lightweight, making them easy to carry from one location to the next, and some larger models may include wheels that allow you to push the step ladder throughout the workplace.
What to Consider When Purchasing a New Step Ladder
You can find at retailers a wide range of step ladders in various sizes to meet your specific needs. When purchasing a new podium step ladder, it is important that you buy one that will meet your company’s safety regulations. Since step ladders place you at an elevated level, it is possible to fall and get badly injured when using one. Therefore, you should always use caution when you use any type of step ladder.
Safety Tips for Using a Podium Step Ladder
- You should always be careful when using podium steps or ladders. When you first open the ladder, make sure that the hinged metal braces known as spreaders are locked down tightly.
- Always set up your step ladder on level ground and never on an uneven surface. All four feet of the ladder should have contact with the ground.
- Always check the step ladder’s platform and never use a ladder if the platform appears to be buckled or split. The stepladder could become unstable and collapse while in use.
- You should never sit or stand on the top step of the ladder even though it is a large space that seems to be an ideal place to sit. Ladder manufacturers recommend that you should sit or stand on the third-highest step.
- You should only climb up the front of the ladder and never on the back side. Only one person should be on the ladder at a time unless you are using a ladder that features steps on both sides and is designed specifically for two people.
- When you are working on a step ladder, be sure to keep your hips within the two vertical rails. If you attempt to reach out too far, you could cause the step ladder to topple over.
- Be sure to remove all tools and supplies from the ladder before you attempt to move it.
Always make sure that you check your step ladder for safety and durability. If you have used the same ladder for many years, it could end up damaged over time due to excessive use. Therefore, it is important to make sure that there are no loose fixings that could cause the ladder to collapse. You should also keep in mind that you shouldn’t use a step ladder if the stiles are bent or damaged in any way. This could cause the ladder to buckle or collapse while it is in use.